Once again, our congregation will be helping Bon Secours create an inviting atmosphere in West Baltimore. Our trip is scheduled for August 12-14. All work will be outside. We need a group of about four – six people to participate each day. Social distancing will be observed. Volunteers are welcome to participate on a single day or multiple days. We do need to hear from you now in order to confirm that we will be able to help this year.
We will be assisting with building the Bon Secours Urban Farm and Community Garden’s public plaza garden space. This area will provide the Urban Farm Site with a place for residents to spend leisure time, enjoy meals grown on the farm, gather, participate in educational activities, and provide the corner of Fayette and Fulton with a public commons for markets and events.
The work will include: Building Pathways, Assembling Picnic Tables, and Planting, for instance:
- Removing grass, clearing and leveling pathways
- Installing pathway and planter bed edging
- Building pathways surface by moving, laying and leveling #57 stone and crushed stone
- Building Planter Boxes, to be partition between farm’s planter beds and plaza (4-6 boxes)
- Measuring, cutting, and assembling lumber planter boxes.
- Filling with soil
- Planting herbs and shrubs
- Assembling Picnic Tables
Our work in West Baltimore has been greatly appreciated and has served as an encouragement for others to get involved, so we’d like to keep our work going. Please consider helping in these outdoor activities this summer! Volunteers should email Social Ministry Chairperson Tim Stanton at [email protected] or Pastor Martha at [email protected].